Residence in Munich
If you have your main residence in Munich, you have to apply for your driving licence at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) Department of Driver Licensing.
Mon, Wed, Fri 07.00 - 12.00
Tues 08.30 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 18.00
Thu 08.30 - 13.30
Residence outside Munich
If you have your main residence outside Munich, you must apply for your driving licence at your local district office or town hall.
The regular processing time for the driving licence application at Kreisverwaltungsreferat Munich is approx. 8 weeks.
During the processing time, you can already start your training at the driving school.
As soon as your driving licence application has been approved, you will receive your test order and thus permission to take the test.
In your student manager FAHREN LERNEN you can check the receipt and validity of your test order.
Information on your current application can be obtained from the Munich Driver's Licence Office.
- Information and application under Munich Driver Licensing Authority
- To find out whether an examination is required or which type of examination applies to the conversion of your foreign driving licence from your home country, please contact our customer service or refer at Staatenliste under Links & Downloads of the Munich Driving Licence Authority.
- You can only apply for a conversion of your foreign driving licence in person with an appointment. To apply for your driving licence, you must book an appointment on the homepage of the Munich Driver Licensing Authority. For more information, see Munich Driver's Licensing Office.
- Depending on capacity, appointments for the same day will be released approx. 15 minutes before the opening of the Driver Licensing Office. In addition, appointments are made daily in the morning for the following week and in the afternoon for the following day. Appointments also become available again and again due to cancellations at short notice. It may therefore be worthwhile to check regularly.
Documents required for the district administration office
- Identity card or passport
- Original foreign driving licence. Must still be valid at the time of conversion.
- Proof of the duration of possession of the foreign driving licence. Not necessary if the duration of possession is evident from the driving licence.
- Confirmation of your first registration in Germany by means of an extended registration certificate. Not necessary if your first registration was in Munich and you have lived here permanently since then.
- Confirmation from the driving school or the training contract from Fahrschule Rausch.
- Translation of the foreign driving licence. E.g. also be done by the publicly appointed and sworn translator Lingoking.
- Proof of training in "first aid". Also possible in English, e.g. Notfallmedizin.de
- Eye test certificate from an ophthalmologist or optician. Not older than two years at the time of application.
- Biometric passport photo
Further information at Munich Driver's Licensing Office
- Information and application under Munich Driver Licensing Authority.
- Information and application under Munich Driving Licence Authority.